The Countywide Plan is scheduled to be developed over a period of approximately three years, followed by a fourth year of focused implementation and refinement. See below for a status of activities both past, current, and planned, and for graphic timelines of the outreach and the overall schedules.
2015 | Launching the Countywide Plan & Community Plans
During the first year of the project, the County focused on launching the project, building awareness, and gathering information from the public, County staff, and outside organizations. Additionally, the County initiated the first Community Plan update (Bloomington) to serve as a pilot process for the other Community Plans.
- Project kick-off
- Establish project protocols and structure
- Understand existing conditions
- Build public awareness
- Coordinate with local, regional, state, and federal agencies
- Gather data and user needs
- Pilot Community Plan
2016 | Community Plans and Land Use Planning
In 2016, the County conducted outreach for more than two dozen Community Plans. From this input and additional outreach and analysis, the County began to draft a land use plan for the entire unincorporated county. During this time, the County also developed growth, traffic, and fiscal models to help understand the options and trade-offs related to potential decisions and policies about land use, infrastructure, and other resources.
- Initiate Community Plans and public workshops
- Conduct growth scenario modeling
- Design web-based platform user interface and database architecture
2017 | Policy Plan, Technical Studies, Business Plan & Web Development
Efforts in 2017 focused on finalizing the draft land use plan based on the results of the scenario modeling, drafting Community Plans, preparing municipal and regional policies, and analyzing the potential environmental impacts of the Countywide Plan. The County also led regional open houses to obtain public feedback and input from throughout the entire county (communities, agencies, businesses, and organizations). In the later part of the year, efforts began to transition to the initial development of a Business Plan to make internal County operations more effective and align decisions with the budget.
- Evaluate and draft municipal and regional policies
- Finalize scenario model and land use plan
- Community and regional outreach
- Initiate environmental assessment and technical studies
- Draft community plans
- Develop business plan
- Align future investments with implementation
2018 | Adoption & Implementation
Adoption is targeted for the second half of 2018 after a final series of public review meetings and hearings. Additionally, a primary objective is to make information more accessible to both County staff and communities. To this end, the County is developing a website dedicated to the review and ongoing implementation of the Countywide Plan. The County will begin to implement the Plan, create partnerships, track progress, and make adjustments based on initial feedback.
- Finalize Policy Plan, EIR, Community Plans, and Business Plan
- Refine and test web-based framework
- Adopt and launch Countywide Plan
- Activate partners and refine implementation
- Complete and evaluate tracking and feedback system
- Establish work plan for fiscal year 2018/19
- Maintain and update web-based framework
The outreach opportunities scheduled over the next two years for the Countywide Plan are intended to continue the conversation with the community and stakeholders as we create the tools and resources to shape and guide the County’s future.
Click here for a one-page (11″x 17″) timeline of the County’s planned outreach with the community during the preparation of the Countywide Plan and Community Plans. Please note that this timeline is intended for general guidance and is subject to change. For the latest dates, times, and locations of meetings, please visit the Meetings and Events page.
Click here or on the image below for a simplified, one-page project schedule (PDF), including a list of primary objectives and major tasks. This schedule is subject to change and the information presented below and in the PDF schedule is intended for general guidance. For updated information, please email the County at: CountywidePlan@lus.sbcounty.gov.